If you’re a tenant in Liverpool and your home is in a state of disrepair, you can claim compensation from your landlord. You can also take action against social landlords. The council has recently received new powers to tackle housing disrepair. Read on to learn more.

Claim against landlords

If you’re living in a Liverpool property that’s in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to make a claim against your landlord. Housing disrepair is a common problem in the area, and landlords may not be doing the necessary repairs to keep your home safe. Even worse, some properties are so badly maintained that they pose a health risk to you and your family. Fortunately, there are a number of steps you can take to make sure your landlord has fixed the problem.

First, you should contact Liverpool Civil Law. The firm has a long-standing housing disrepair law practice. Its team is led by David Bennett, who has worked in the field for 30 years. This means that he can be trusted to provide you with expert advice and representation. Another reason to use Liverpool civil law is that they are one of the few firms in the UK with a dedicated housing disrepair london team.

Compensation you can claim for

If your property has become uninhabitable and has fallen into disrepair, you may be able to claim compensation from the landlord. You can claim general damages or special damages, depending on the level of disrepair. The amount of compensation you can claim is usually a percentage of your rent.

Housing disrepair solicitors can help you get the repairs and compensation that you are entitled to. It’s important to act quickly if you find your property is in a state of disrepair. First, submit a complaint to the housing association. These bodies have a legal obligation to keep their properties in good repair, and they must respond to concerns about disrepair within a reasonable timeframe. If they fail to do so, they could face legal action for damages caused by their neglect.

Taking action against social landlords

Taking action against social landlords in housing-disrepair cases is an excellent way to make sure your property is in a decent state. A social landlord has a duty of care to its tenants to maintain the property and adhere to the regulations laid out by the government. If this duty is not met, the tenant may be entitled to compensation.

It is important for social landlords to ensure the standards of the property are high enough to avoid residents suffering health issues. This means that gas and electricity supplies need to be safe and in working order. Water and sanitation supplies must also be in good condition. Moreover, the building must have proper security and adequate drainage. Paths, boundary walls and gutters should also be in good condition. In cases where the condition of the property has deteriorated since you moved in, it is considered to be in a state of disrepair. You may be entitled to compensation if you have notified the landlord.